Saturday, June 18, 2011

Mamamamoooo Cows Mamamamake Milk

I have been on a streak of laziness.  I have a few projects that I have started on and I just can't seem to get motivated to finish them and post them. So, I decided to write about something that has plagued me for as long as I can remember.....Lactose intolerance.  Yes everyone my name is Misty and I am lactose intolerant.  I have lived a life of drinking skim milk with my cereal.  Something my husband loves to make fun of me for.  He refers to it as water.  I can't remember when I have been able to drink chocolate or strawberry flavored milk!  Oh just reminiscing of those days brings a tear to my eye. 
For those of you who do not have a lactose intolerant problem.  Let me just give you a very brief idea of some of the symptoms of being lactose intolerant.  (I don't want to scare you off so I won't be too descriptive) In normal cases, one usually starts showing signs anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours after digesting something with the enzyme lactase in it.  The symptoms are
  • abdominal bloating (not that big of a deal if this was the only thing there was)
  • abdominal cramps (I'm talking about the ones that make you bend over almost)
  • gas (yeah, here we go with the embarrassing parts)
  • diarrhea (told you)
  • naseau
Now most people can get away with drinking 2-4 oz of milk and be ok.  Me on the other hand, not only do I start showing signs after drinking milk with my cereal.  I start showing them almost immediately.  So, you maybe asking me why in the world is she telling everyone about this.  Well, I finally got smart and starting drinking almond milk.  Before trying it two months ago, I was scared to try it because...well....it's something new and I was scared of the unknown.  So, I bought the Silk Vanilla Almond Milk. 




The first time I tried it, I will not lie, it was a little too sweet for me in my plain Special K cereal.  And it has a yellowish brown tint to it.  But, when I drank it alone, all by itself, it was fantastic.  And do you want to know the best part?  No lactose intolerance!  I decided after drinking the first carton that I would get the plain Almond Milk for my cereal, which actually tastes better than milk to me.  The fantastic thing...they have chocolate Almond Milk!  Which is fantastic. 

Oh Oh, and guess what else.  Here are some great stats. 


Plain Almond Milk
  • 60 Calories
  • has 50% more Calcium than dairy milk
  • has an excellent source of vitamin E
Vanilla Almond Milk
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs: 

  • 60 calories
  • calcium 45%
  • vitamin D 25%
  • vitamin E 50%
  • vitamin B12 50%
  • sugars 7g
 Skim milk looks  like this


  • 137 calories 
  • vitamin D- none
  • calcium 45%
  • vitamin E- none
  • vitamin B12 25%
  • 18.8g
So, if you are lactose intolerant.  Don't be afraid of change.  In the words of Nike....Just Do It!  And if you are not lactose intolerant, look at the stats.  The Almond Milk is soooo much better for you!  The only thing that cow milk has more of than almond milk is protein.  But, I really feel that the almond milk just kicks cow milk's behind!  

Oh and another thing....you can make your own almond milk by combining ground almonds with water in a blender and vanilla for extra flavoring!









No comments: