Thursday, June 23, 2011

Can you hear me now?

I would just like to say that I am not getting anything for this post, no money and no gadgets...nothing.  Unless, they decided to all of a sudden sponsor me.  Yeah, not so much.  Anyway, let me give you a background story on this.  I live 30 minutes from the closest town and I'm not sure how far away I live from the closest cell phone tower.  So, needless to say my husband and I did not use our cell phones in our house.  And if we did it was in select areas of the house in the most uncomfortable position.  Go ahead and imagine me scrunched up in the bottom of our closet trying to talk on the phone during the winter because it was too cold to go outside and stand by the road where I know we have service.  Or every time I send a text, I would have to walk outside for it to send.  And we have tried almost every carrier out there to see if we could get better service.  No such luck....we had the same problem with all of the carriers.  It was very annoying.  We definitely were not going to be one of those families that could save money by getting rid of their land line. 

Until Tuesday.  My husband came home from work with the biggest smile on his face and a box in his hands.
After prying the box out of his hands, I found out that is was something called a MicroCell from AT&T. 




So, of course I asked him what it was and how much it cost (since I have not been working we have been really trying to spend our money on only the essentials).  After finding out that the gadget was $199, I immediately freaked  requested him to return the item.  But, after he explained what it does I asked him if we could return it if it didn't work. 
So, are you curious about what the magic box does.  Well, here it is.  It connects to your broadband Internet service to create a strong, secure, sharable 3G signal in your home.  Up to four AT&T 3G or 4G phones can be used at the same time. So, what does that mean.
"The AT&T 3G MicroCell device acts like a mini cell tower in your home, and connects to your existing broadband Internet service. You receive improved cell signal performance for both voice calls and cellular data applications like picture messaging and Web surfing. Special Unlimited MicroCell calling features are also available."  So, in other words.....I went from have 1 bar of service in very few uncomfortable spots or no service at all, to 4-5 bars of service.  So, yes....that means no having to go out in the cold winter or hot hot summer to use the phone or send a voice mail.  And definitely not scrunching up in a ball in the bottom of my spare bedroom closet. 

So, do I recommend this little white box of magic.  You're darn straight I would.  And you know what else?  We may even get rid of our land line!  I went online to do research on it before writing this and I have read a few bad reviews on it.  Some were saying that the MicroCell did nothing for them and they were still dropping calls.  Or the network would go down from time to time for repair when they were first setting it up.  I think I am ok with that and understanding of that as long as it does not last for days.   So, if you have poor signal at your house and have AT&T...oh and $199, I would definitely recommend getting the MicroCell from them.  Just keep in mind you have to have a broadband Internet service.  I don't know if any other phone carrier offers such a wonderful magic box, but it is worth the time to ask!
Here is a link to the website if you would like more information. 

No comments: